WEEK END ROUND UP: 9/10 - 9/16 September 16 2016, 0 Comments
- OH SHIT IT’S HERE. TRIALS, THE DEBUT ALBUM BY CROSS COUNTRY! If you're like us, you've probably already been streaming it non-stop on IMPOSE Magazine, who called it “a brief yet powerful album of luscious pop straight out of the garage" in their premiere earlier this week. But now you can get yr paws on that crystal clear cassette here, or do the digital thing at iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, and wherever else music is 1s and 0s.
- If you’re lucky enough to be in Ohio, you got TWO tape release show options. You can catch em TONIGHT in Cincinnati with Earring, Leggy, and Rose Hip (FB EVENT). Or you can see em in their hometown of Oxford on the 29th with Pool Holograph, Smut, and Hidden Places (FB EVENT). HIT IT!
- Cross Country got that “best new music of the week” nod from Post Trash, who said their first single was “destined to be on all your road trip mixes." And that's the dang truth.
- Wanna wish a HAPPY RELEASE DAY to Natural Child and Left & Right! You can pick up Natural Child’s new record Okey Dokey on their website or at their release show tonight. To celebrate, we put Bodyswitchers and 1971 LPs on sale for only $9.99 so you can get all the NC you need! Now, Left & Right's Infinity Cat Cassette Series tape has been sold out for ages. Which tells you that you oughta head over to WarHen Records to pick up their new record The Yips right away!
- TOMORROW’S OUR GARAGE ROCK SALE. We’re getting rid of all the cool weird stuff we’ve accumulated over the past six years at 467 Humphreys St. Like vintage movie posters, monopoly sets from different countries, guitars and pedals, books and CDs and clothes galore. Something for everyone! And everything for cheap! For more info, check out the FB event. Early bird specials start at 8 am!
- While you’re on fb, make sure to RSVP for our last ever Wedgewood/Houston art show on October 7th. A huuuuuge collaboration between Bob the Fatherhood (artist name: R.E. Orrall) and 20+ artists called THE KITCHEN. Check out the FB event for the whole story but suffice to say we are SUPER stoked for this and can’t wait for you to see all these artists’ hard work!
- JTB kicks off their tour tonight and this one’s gonna be a good one. They’ve got Music Band on a slew of their US dates and they’re headed back to Europe! Peep them dates here and get your tix now!
- Music Band will have copies of their “I Was Like” 7”, which is pretty much fall wrapped up in a 7” polybag. (Much better than a pumpkin spice latte.) These are the last copies, so grab one or forever hold your peace!
- Speaking of Music Band, we got a new Spotify mix for you to check out! It’s called “Indie Songs for Slackers” and it features their hit “Don’t Call Upon Me”. Seems like the perfect Friday playlist, right? Stream it here.
- Shouts out to Nashville Cream, Grimey's, Third Man, and everyone else involved in the Cream’s 10th anniversary party last week. It was INSANE. And the rain turned out to be a blessing in disguise, since everyone had to pack in to watch JTB play The Basement for the first time since they were kids! Head over to The Cream (duh) for pics and video!
WEEK END ROUND UP: 8/27 - 9/2 September 02 2016, 0 Comments
- We’re finally getting the first hints of fall weather this morning, which led us to a v important discovery… CROSS COUNTRY IS FANTASTIC MUSIC FOR CRUISIN AROUND W THE WINDOWS DOWN WHEN IT’S NICE & BREEZY OUT. Try it. It’ll put a big ol smile on your face. Just jump over to Gold Flake Paint for the premiere of their first single “Grass Stain” and turn it up LOUD!
- Cross Country’s tape comes out September 16th on ltd ed crystal clear cassette as part of the Infinity Cat Cassette Series, which by the way only has a handful of subscriptions still available. Subscribe to the series to guarantee a copy of each of this year’s tapes, plus a super secret bonus item from each band, plus an extra bonus item from us (a “Come and Drink It Now With Us” koozie). That’s SIX tapes and SEVEN bonus goodies. NO BRAINER!
- Speaking of cassettes, we decided to up the ante on Cassette Store Day this year and release a TWO CASSETTE SET of JTB’s Global Chakra Rhythms! These babies are limited to 200 hand-numbered copies, on white cassettes with teal and purple imprints (to mirror the original beautiful and super sold out 2-LP colored vinyl), encased in a sick 2-in-1 butterfly box. Out 10/8 wherever cassettes are sold!
- The Tuffest of Guses, Ian Bush, answered Riot Fest’s 10 Questions on music, snacks, and festival survival. Check out his words of wisdom (“Nobody should only read one book,” “never mix psychedelics with redbull vodkas”) here.
- Some of y’all back-to-schoolers asked us about rock n roll backpack decorations and the answer is no, we do not have patches, but YES, WE DO HAVE NEON 5-COLOR PIN SETS. We’ll also throw in a CATFLAG sticker just cuz!
- THE RUMORS ARE TRUE: WE ARE MOVING! Out with the old and in with the new Cathouse. “Out with the old” meaning we are having a “garage rock sale” on September 17th and you are invited. We have amassed an astounding collection of STUFF over the years and we don’t wanna move ANY of it, so come and get it!
- Nashville!!! Music Band’s playing Lightning 100’s THUNDERGROUND at Basement East next week and it’s ONLY $3 thanks to the fine folks at PBR and Pickers Vodka. So pick up your tickets now bc there’s no better deal than this!
- ICCS alum Left & Right are gearing up to release their new album, The Yips, and you can hear the latest single “Mouse Drum” on Stereogum. Not only CAN YOU but YOU SHOULD. And then you should preorder the vinyl from WarHen Records. We did, and we can’t wait for it to get here!
- Our JEFF the Brotherhood ZONED OUT sale has been extended through Labor Day Weekend! If it’s JEFF, it’s ON SALE. And if it’s not ON SALE, then it’s SOLD OUT. And that’s the truth!
- Tomorrow will be our LAST OFFICIAL ART CRAWL SHOWING, so come on over and check out “The Outsiders,” a collection of Outsider Art curated by the one and only Robert Ellis Orrall. As always, it will be a fun and free event filled with art, beer, snacks, music, and friendship. And afterwards, catch our buddies Savoy Motel and Goth Babe at Fort Houston!
WEEK END ROUND UP: 7/30 - 8/5 August 05 2016, 0 Comments
- NOISEY SEZ “RIGHT NOW, DIARRHEA PLANET MIGHT JUST BE THE BEST BAND IN THE UNIVERSE.” AIN’T THAT THE DANG TRUTH. Read their interview with Jordan, in which they spread the Gospel of DP with words like “And by the power vested in me as a dude who is writing about them on the internet, let me tell you the Diarrhea Planet are motherfucking sick” and “everyone who’s seen them live becomes a turbo-fan basically immediately”. Then pick up their “third and by far best album” Turn To Gold!
- One week away from JEFF’s new album, Zone!! Get pumped by streaming their latest single “Roachin”, featuring vocals by Alicia from Bully. Yeah. Stereogum called it a “menacing, grumbling churner balanced and pierced by Bognanno’s sultry tone,” while the Nashville Cream described it as “sludge-kissed.” Aww! Now preorder your copy of Zone today!
- Ed Schrader’s Music Beat is hitting the road next week for the Last of the Summer’s Wine Tour! (A tour name that really speaks to us.) Nashville, they’re playing a free in-store at Third Man on the 26th so duck out of your day job early and make sure to catch em! Everybody else, peep the rest of the dates here.
- It’s never too late to show that Colleen Green ICCS tape some love! French blog Les Orilles Curieuses praised its unrelenting fuzzy reverb, languid voice, and slice of life lyrics (if our high school French is holding up ok). Catch Colleen on tour in Paris and all over Europe this October with Cassie Ramone! Dates & tix here.
- Ex-Heavy Creamers Jessica, Mimi, and Dillon are back with a new band called SAVOY MOTEL, fronted by Jeffrey from Cheap Time. Okay so you already know that means it’s gotta be good. But you don’t know how great til you watch their new video for “Souvenir Shop Rock” on Noisey! Funky vocals to an even funkier tune - let’s boogie!
- Jump over to IMPOSE for a great interview with Cyrus from Famous Class Records and Edan from Death By Audio (RIP) on their new 3-LP compilation “Start Your Own Fucking Show Space.” SYOFSS features live cuts from the last month of DBA’s shows, including JEFF The Brotherhood’s “Heavy Damage” from their last night. Take a listen, then pick up your compilation at Famous Class.
- IT’S ART CRAWL TIME!!!! And lemme tell ya, this one’s gonna be especially awesome. First up, the Infinity Cat Visitors Center and Gallery is so so so so so so so proud to present “Learn To Eat Alone,” an exhibit of street photography by the 1 and only Wrenne Evans taken in London and New York over a period of two years. As always, we will have free drinks, cheap beer, snacks galore, music blastin, friendship forever, 6-9pm at the Cathouse.
- Down the street, our friends at Fort Houston will be showcasing art by Harry Kagan of Music Band, Tuff Gus, and kkbbkb followed by a FREE ALL-AGES DIARRHEA PLANET + GNARWHAL SHOW. If you’re not in the neighborhood on Saturday night, buddy, we just don’t know what to tell ya.
- Real quick before we go- just wanna wish our good friends, neighbors, burger/kickin ketchup providers Gabby’s Burgers a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
WEEK END ROUND UP: 6/25 - 7/1 July 01 2016, 0 Comments
- So we’re turning 14 this month (soon we’ll be able to drive!) and to kick off our birthday month, we’re presenting… the SHRED TIL YER RED edition of DP’s “i’m rich beyond your wildest dreams”!!! This baby’s limited to 500 hand-assembled hand-numbered translucent red vinyl copies, with black & white screen printed jackets by the dudes at Grand Palace (who also created a wicked red glow ink for the blood splatter). HOT DANG, THAT’S A SPICY FRIDAY!
- Happy Canada Day to our bros up north, Dine Alone! They just dropped a new summer sampler and it’s triple-fire-emoji bby, featuring Diarrhea Planet, Music Band, and 25 other great bands. Download it for free at http://bit.ly/DAsummer16.
- The fine folks at USA Today interviewed Diarrhea Planet about crackheads and also their new album, Turn To Gold. We recommend you read it. It’s Recommended Reading. We’ve never meant the words “Recommended Reading” as much as we do right now. Read it.
- DP played Nashville’s Grammy Block Party a few months ago and that was totally brilliant. But the genius doesn’t stop there because THEY HAD BOB INTERVIEW DIARRHEA PLANET I REPEAT THEY HAD BOB INTERVIEW DIARRHEA PLANET. Grammy Pro members, you’re gonna wanna watch this.
- Actually while we’re on DP interviews, man, do we have a lot of DP interviews for you to procrastinate with this Friday! Artist Direct talked to Jordan about influential songs in his life, Emmett gave Baeble Music the 100% for real story of how they got their band name, and Myspace got the scoop on 10 Things You Should Know About Diarrhea Planet with Evan and Jordan.
- We got a special delivery from our friends at 2670 Records! That’s right, a Japan-only CD version of Daddy Issues hit cassette “Can We Still Hang.” Get yer paws on one here!
- DP made Treble Zine’s 30 Best Albums of 2016 so far! Check that list out here, and read their full review here.
- Running foreign reviews through Google Translate is one of our favorite things to do, partially cuz we always love hearing what you guys have to say and partially cuz Google Translate is a hilarious mess! This time, we’ve got Voodoo Media’s Spanish review (10/10 for Explosion Guitars and What Voices!) and Potlista’s Croatian review (“everything that you loved with glamuriziranih guitar 80s and DIY-punk scene… Diarrhea Planet is a summary of what initially attracted me to music: fun, friendship, foolishness, bravery and sense of eternity.”)
- Ya dudes DP also climbed the alt radio charts this week, making it to #2 ON THE ALBUM CHARTS AND #8 ON THE SINGLE CHARTS (FOR “LIFE PASS”)!!! They also scored two new song debuts- “Announcement” and “Ain’t A Sin To Win” tied at #124. Keep calling in to yr local station and telling em YOU WANT YOUR DIARRHEA PLANET! And while we’re talking radio, feast yr ears on this great mix by our radio team at Shine On!
- THIS SATURDAY! We are proud to present “Do I Apologize For My Crude Mind?” with new photographs and drawings by man-about-town KANE. Join us from 6-9 pm at the Infinity Cathouse for art, drinks, snacks, music, friendship!